(CLICK ON THE MAP TO ENLARGE)
Evacuees will use Road S-20(Bohicket Road) to US 17 south. Then SC64 to Walterboro and continue to Augusta, Ga.
Under direction of Federal, State and County governmental emergency agencies, the Mayor is likely to issue an Evacuation Order 12 hours prior to the hurricane’s expected impact. When an Evacuation Order is issued, all residents and resort/rental guests are expected to comply.
SUGGESTIONS FOR EVACUATION
- Plan before the storm arrives and avoid a last minute rush which could leave you marooned.
- Keep your car fueled. Service stations may be inoperable for several days after the storm due to flooding or interrupted electrical power.
- Familiarize with the evacuation route from Seabrook Island to the mainland and beyond. click here for the evacuation map
- Drive with extra care, particularly through roads covered with water. Do not try to cross an area unless you are certain the water will not be above the middle of your car’s wheels. Put your car in low gear and drive very slowly to avoid splashing water into your engine, which could cause it to stall.
- Listen to your car radio for weather reports and evacuation directions.
- Prepare for a long trip in your vehicle. Be sure and carry supplies you will need in the car with you as you may be in traffic for up to 12 hours.
Security vehicles will patrol the Island with the following signals:
- Siren alarm to evacuate is long-short-long-short.
- Siren alarm that Evacuation Team is leaving is short-short-short-short.
- The patrols mobile public address system will announce evacuation.
- Use your telephone ONLY to call for emergency services or to receive Task Force Warnings. Dial 911 to reach fire, medical, and police emergency personnel. The Town Emergency Preparedness Control Center’s number is 768-9121.